Jump to content


  • Content count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

Community Reputation

285 Excellent

About Clare

  • Rank
    Advanced Member
  1. For our final day we decided that we wanted to have another go at cross-country skiing But first of all we had to sort out the logistics of how we were going to get all the equipment we'd rented back to the sports shop by the end of the day. After a bit of deliberation, we decided to walk to the shop and hand back the snowshoes and poles first, then walk back to the apartment and collect our skis. Tim asked the people in the sports shop whether we could leave our normal boots with them while we went skiing, and happily they agreed. The advantage of this was that it meant once we'd finished skiing, we could just go back to the sports shop and hand in the skis, ski poles and ski boots, then put our normal boots on to walk back to the apartment. The alternative would have been to walk back to the apartment in the ski boots, change into our normal boots and then walk all the way back to the sports shop again carrying the skis. Skis are quite heavy to carry (and it's about 1km from the apartment to the sports shop) so it was a definite bonus to avoid an extra trip. When we got down to the lake, we could immediately see that it was a lot cloudier than the previous day when we were skiing. It was still pretty though, even if we couldn't see any of the hills in the distance. We were soon clipped into our skis and ready to go. Tim was off... ...and I wasn't too far behind. It felt a bit easier than it did the other day. Or at least, I felt more balanced and less like I was going to fall over We stuck to the same flat bit of track on the lake, which is perfect for beginners Tim was managing to go a bit faster than me! Skiing is hard work and after a while we felt like having a break. While we were catching our breath, we tried another selfie Then we decided to do one more lap of the track before calling it a day. We went back to the ski shop, handed everything over and retrieved our normal boots. There was still some daylight left, so we went for a stroll around the village, past the supermarket in the direction we had explored the other night. As we were walking along, I suddenly caught sight of something moving in the trees on the opposite side of the road. It was a reindeer, just wandering around That's definitely a first for us! We continued along the path, to the point where the river flows into the lake. The water isn't completely frozen here. Tim went across to the other side of the road to look at the view in the opposite direction. It was really beautiful here too Before long we came to the end of the village and had to turn around and head back. It was starting to get dark now anyway and the street lights were coming on. We've had a really wonderful holiday in Lapland yet again, despite the fact that it didn't get off to the best start with the delay to Tim's suitcase last week Tomorrow will be a big day of travelling, as we have an internal flight from Kittilä to Helsinki in the morning, followed by a flight from Helsinki back to Gatwick in the afternoon. It will be tiring, but this is a destination that is definitely worth the travelling, and I have a feeling that we may be coming back again...!
  2. Our legs didn't feel up to skiing two days in a row, so we decided to revert to snowshoeing again today. We had really enjoyed the walk in the woods which we did on Saturday, but in places it had been quite difficult walking on such powdery snow in normal shoes, so we thought it would be fun to re-do the walk, but this time on snowshoes. We began walking along the side road which leads towards the path. We were carrying our snowshoes at this point, as the snow on the road wasn't very deep. When we got to the path, we stopped to put the snowshoes on. Putting them on is still the most difficult part, but we seem to be finally getting the hang of it now We managed to get all the straps pulled tightly enough that we only had to stop once to adjust mine during the whole walk, and they didn't fall off at all. You'll see from the picture that we had decided to bring the snowshoe poles with us today as well. Or rather, I had now realised that we actually had snowshoe poles Originally when Tim brought a pile of poles back from the shop I assumed they all related to the skis, but then realised belatedly that we had a set each to go with the snowshoes as well. That should make going up and downhill a lot easier Snowshoes on, and we were off. It was about minus 4 today and Tim was finding it a bit warm I was still happy I had all my winter gear on though, as we made our way through the forest and towards the little valley we'd walked through the other day. It was just as beautiful there today Quite a lot more snow had fallen overnight (we'd had to grit the path outside our apartment this morning) and so I think the path would have been really heavy-going in places with normal boots. With the snowshoes on we were speeding along though, especially once we got into a rhythm with the poles. Partway round, we decided to stop and try another selfie Then we were off once again... ...until we got to the little ski cafe which marks the halfway point of the walk. From there, we continued on the narrower path with lots of bent-over trees Some of them seemed to be even more bent over this time than last, and there were a couple of places where the trees were now so low we had to duck under them (which we definitely didn't have to do the other day). It was about 2pm by this point - and it hadn't been a particularly bright day in the first place - so we needed to walk briskly to get through the rest of the walk before darkness fell. The snowshoes definitely helped with that We soon came to the place where there is a steep downhill slope to negotiate. It was loads easier with the poles! Finally we were almost back at the road, where it would be time to take off the snowshoes again. We made it, just as the street lights were starting to turn on It was another really fun day in the snow
  3. We went out again just after 11pm last night, to see what was happening in Äkäslompolo for New Year. Although it had been quite a clear and sunny day, by evening the sky had clouded over once again and so there was no chance of seeing any northern lights. The village still looked very pretty though, with little candles placed in the snow at regular intervals to light up the path along the main road. We were walking towards the frozen lake, where last year there had been a big release of lanterns at midnight. We had no idea what might be happening this year! The lake is just beyond the supermarket carpark, and I'd had the impression that last year there had been a man there selling Glühwein (but that we couldn't buy any because we'd forgotten to bring any money out with us). We were better prepared this year, and when we arrived we found there was indeed a man in the carpark, but that what he was selling was hot berry juice with a shot of vodka in it. Not quite Glühwein, but I gave it a go anyway and it was quite nice We walked down to the lake, where there didn't appear to be a big organised display of anything this year, but lots of people individually either letting off lanterns or fireworks. Some people's fireworks weren't very impressive... ...but others were more successful. It felt quite surreal to be watching fireworks set off from a frozen lake. When it got to midnight, someone set off the best firework of all. It was a great start to the new year
  4. Today we decided to re-do one of our favourite walks from last year, in the woods outside Äkäslompolo. Given how cold it has been over the past few days, we got dressed up in our warmest clothes this morning, prepared to brave the Arctic conditions once again. I was wearing my new pink waterproof trousers As soon as we stepped outside though, we realised that.... it wasn't actually that cold The air didn't feel painful to breathe, even without a neck gaiter. Sure enough, when we got as far as the main thermometer in the village, we saw that today the temperature was a mere minus 2. You could definitely feel the difference! The path we were looking for starts from one of the side roads leading out of the village. Last year we got a bit lost when we were looking for it and managed to walk up a hill in the wrong direction, but this year we found the correct road without any problems. After a few minutes we turned off the road and onto the path, which starts out quite wide to begin with. As with yesterday, everywhere we looked we were surrounded by beautiful snowy trees After a while the path crosses a ski run and becomes more narrow, as it begins to lead through a little valley. It's really beautiful here, and again almost completely silent; we only met a handful of other people walking the whole time we were out. It wasn't snowing while we were out but it obviously had been overnight, because there was a fresh layer of powdery snow everywhere. It was quite difficult to walk in at times; we should probably have brought our snowshoes! It was a really magical place to walk though, even if it did feel like hard work at times The path leads towards a small restaurant hut for skiers, which is about 4km outside of Äkäslompolo. From here, the path circles round back towards the village again. This part of the path leads through a denser part of the forest and we saw lots of trees which were bent under the weight of the snow. Some of them definitely looked like they would be able to spring back once the snow melted.... ...whereas others looked like they had been snapped completely... ...and others we weren't completely sure. We carried on through the forest. Eventually the path goes down quite a steep snowy slope. Tim decided to take the running approach... ...whereas I went down more carefully After this, we were back on the same path as before, leading up through the valley. It was just as beautiful going in the opposite direction As we got closer to Äkäslompolo, we could see the light starting to change. It was after 2pm by this point and starting to get darker, so the photos almost looked like they had been taken in black and white. We were starving by the time we got back to the village and so we decided to go out for a meal. We both had pizza this time, and they were huge! All in all we've had another wonderful day in the snow
  5. Shortly after I finished blogging last night, our doorbell rang and there was a lady outside with Tim's missing suitcase He was very happy to be reunited with it. It turned out that the original baggage label had indeed fallen off, so I'm going to be extremely paranoid when using self-service baggage check-in desks in the future! When we woke up this morning we both felt more energetic than yesterday, so we decided to try out some snowshoeing. The snowshoe expedition which we'd been on last year now cost €68 whereas renting the snowshoes had only cost €50 for the length of our stay, so even if we only used them today we would save money We decided to start on the Äkäslompolo lake, where we knew from last year that there were definitely some snowshoe trails. Last year we went on this walk, but had to turn back when we got to a slope that was too steep to climb without snowshoes. This year we thought we should be able to do better The thermometer in the centre of the village showed -19 today, so it was a bit warmer than yesterday. It didn't really feel much warmer, but whereas yesterday had been quite bright and clear, today was very cloudy and it was starting to snow lightly. It didn't take long for Tim's beard to freeze again When we got to the lake, we strapped on our snowshoes. Strapping them on is actually the hardest part; the straps are quite stiff and it's difficult to pull them tight enough to keep your feet secured, especially when your fingers are going numb. We managed it in the end, and set off across the lake. Whereas yesterday we had been able to take photos of the fells in the distance, today we could hardly see across to the opposite side of the lake We made our way across the lake, towards the forest on the far side. I remembered from last year how beautiful the trees looked, all covered in snow. We could see occasional people skiing past on the some of the ski runs in the distance, but for most of the time we were completely on our own and when we stopped it was absolutely silent The air was so cold that it was almost painful to breathe, so I was very glad of my neck-gaiter We made our way through the forest, following the snowshoe trail. The path was marked with intermittent blue poles, which made it easier to follow. Some of the trees were completely bowed down by snow... ...and others were just so perfectly covered in snow that it was hard to see any tree at all In some places we saw animal tracks in the snow, though not sure what this one was. Eventually we got near to the place where we had turned back last year, when the path started to go quite steeply uphill. Equipped with our snowshoes, we managed the uphill no problem this year and were soon following a narrower path along a little hill. It was very pretty, although I had to pay attention not to trip over my own snowshoes What hadn't occurred to me in advance was that if we followed a path uphill, we'd have to go downhill again at some point. Sure enough, we soon came to a point where the path led downhill very steeply indeed (though you can't really see it in this picture, because everything is so white!) Tim managed to get down the slope but it was way too steep for me, even with snowshoes, so we had to turn around and return the way that we had come. That was fine though, because there were other snowshoe paths to explore The snow had started to intensify by this point, and we could no longer see all the trees quite as clearly. I did spot these little ones though, which were so small that the snow had covered all but their very tips. We were rather cold by this point, so we decided to call it a day. If you look very closely in this picture, you may be able to see that the little bit of hair poking out from under my hat is completely frozen We walked back across the lake and towards the warmth of the apartment. We've discovered that it has a special drying cupboard for wet clothes (it's a bit like a tumble dryer, but in a cupboard) so we have been making use of that this evening; our clothes were surprisingly wet after a few hours of being snowed on. It was a lovely day, and really good fun to be able to snowshoe on our own rather than in a group
  6. Clare

    Day 3: Äkäslompolo

    We had a slow start to the day today as my cold was making me feel a bit miserable. I stayed in bed for a while in the morning, while Tim went out to the sports shop to pick up the skis and snowshoes which we had arranged to rent. For the past two years when we've been to Lapland, we've taken part in some organised snowshoe walks and last year we had a cross country skiing lesson as well. This year we had decided that rather than spending money on the organised activities, we would be brave enough to rent our own equipment and strike out on our own I felt better by later in the morning, so after lunch we left the apartment and went for an exploratory walk. There was an enormous pile of snow in the carpark outside the apartment! We set off along the road into the centre of the village. It was quite a clear day, and once we'd walked along for a while, we were able to get our first glimpse of the frozen lake in the distance beyond the trees. Everywhere looked like a winter wonderland It felt incredibly cold outside and the bits of my face that were exposed felt like they were starting to freeze. It soon became clear why; the temperature was a cool minus 27 degrees I was clearly a little bit startled by the temperature Tim had managed to buy new gloves in the supermarket yesterday, but he hadn't been able to get a hat. We'd been hoping the bag was going to turn up and that we wouldn't need to buy a new one, but it became clear on this walk that his ears were going to freeze if we didn't buy one asap. We tried the sports shop first of all, but their cheapest hat seemed to be €30 and the majority were in the €40 - €50 range. Tim seemed to feel he'd rather lose his ears than pay that much for a hat, but happily we found another shop near to the supermarket which had a bargain bin outside it. We picked up this hat for €12.50 in the end In order to get to the frozen lake, you have to walk across the supermarket car park. The supermarket had decided to liven it up this year, with the addition of this enormous reindeer We followed the path towards the lake... ...and were soon rewarded with this beautiful view of the moon over the fells. It was a very clear day, so we were able to see in all directions... ...though despite the fact that it wasn't even 2pm yet, we could see that it was soon going to be getting dark. We couldn't head too far at this time of the day - plus Tim's beard had started to freeze - so we decided to go back to the supermarket to warm up and stock up on some supplies. When we got back home, we found that Tim had a missed call on his mobile from a Finnish number. We assumed it was to do with his suitcase, but they hadn't left a message and nobody picked up when he tried to call back. The good news is that a few hours later he got another call, from a lady at Kittila airport who said that the suitcase had been found and wanted to confirm the address it should be delivered to Fingers crossed it's going to arrive at some point this evening!
  7. We had so much fun in Lapland last year that we knew before we had even got home that we wanted to come again this year. We also knew that we wanted to maximise our time in the snow as much as possible, so back in January I started researching whether it would be possible to fly directly to Kittilä, which is the nearest airport to our favourite destination of Äkäslompolo. Researching flights to Kittilä turned out to be a very frustrating task, because there are hundreds of flights from the UK around Christmas time, including from airports close to where we live, but they are all charter flights for people going on Thompson holidays. The only airline which seemed to be selling direct scheduled flights from the UK to Kittilä was Monarch. I looked at their website longingly for a while, but the December 2017 prices were already exceptionally high (around £400 each) and we decided that we couldn't justify spending that kind of money. That turned out to be a great decision, given that Monarch has subsequently gone bust! I was convinced there must be a quicker way than flying to Helsinki and taking the overnight train though, and in the end we found that it was possible to fly from Gatwick to Helsinki and from Helsinki to Kittilä with Norwegian. The only catch was that both of those flights seemed to run every other day... and they don't both run on the same alternate days... so we would have to fly to Helsinki one day and get a second flight to Kittilä the next day. Also the flight to Helsinki was on Boxing Day, which felt like a strange day to fly. We deliberated over it for quite some time but it really did seem like the best option, so in the end I went ahead and booked. As Tim pointed out, flying on Boxing Day didn't mean that I needed to spend Christmas Day packing my suitcase; most of the things I needed for Lapland would be outdoor winter wear that I could pack in advance, as I definitely wouldn't be wearing them in the UK Flying from Gatwick on Boxing Day actually turned out to be a really good idea. Our flight was at 09.40, so we left home around 04.30 and beat all the shoppers for the Boxing Day sales, with the result that we were able to enjoy completely clear motorways. The airport itself didn't seem too busy, and our flight boarded and left pretty much on time. Amazing! We arrived in a chilly Helsinki just before 3pm. The majority of the flight had been too cloudy to see anything, but as we came down to land we were able to see a tiny sprinkling of snow on the countryside outside Helsinki. As our second flight from the airport was quite early the following morning, we weren't planning to go into the centre of Helsinki itself (the airport bus fare is quite expensive, and by 3pm it was almost getting dark anyway!) so we had booked to stay in the Holiday Inn at Helsinki airport. I'd chosen the hotel on the basis that it started serving breakfast from 5am and it had a free shuttle bus to and from the airport. There was no information about the timetable of the free shuttle bus online - or indeed any official information about where to catch it from - so we left the terminal building and began surveying the rows of bus stops outside. Luckily we found it quite easily and the bus seemed to run every 20 minutes or so, so we didn't have too long to wait. The Holiday Inn was only a couple of kilometres away and we were dropped off right outside it. Check-in was easy and we even got some free chocolates, which was a nice bonus We relaxed in the hotel for a while before going out to try and find somewhere to eat. My experience of eating in Holiday Inns previously is that their restaurants are quite expensive, so I had done some googling in advance and found out that there was an out-of-town shopping centre and entertainment complex about five minutes walk away, so we set off in search of that. The thermometer told us that it was minus 1 degrees outside and it began to snow slightly as we left the hotel and made our way towards the shopping centre. We found the building quite easily, but spend a while walking around it until we managed to find the way in. Once inside we found various restaurants and settled on an Italian one, which didn't seem too expensive by Helsinki standards. We each had a lasagne, which cost around €17, and stuck to drinking the free tap water We were in need of an early night after our early start for the flight to Helsinki. Another early start awaited us on Wednesday, as our flight to Kittilä was at 08.45. Although it was only an internal flight, we needed to check in our luggage again, so we wanted to make sure we were at the airport for 06.45. Counting backwards, that meant that we needed to catch the free shuttle bus at 06.20 and get up at 05.30. Breakfast at the hotel was quite plentiful, although it was so early that I didn't feel like I had the appetite to do it justice. We caught the correct bus and were at the airport well ahead of schedule. Check in had to be done via self service machines, which print the boarding passes as well as the labels for your luggage. I've always been rubbish at putting those labels on so Tim did both of them and then we made our way to the self service baggage drop point, where we had to scan the labels on the baggage and send the suitcases off down the conveyor belt. This is where things started to go wrong. Tim successfully sent off his bag, but when I went to lift mine up onto the belt I realised that my label had disappeared. Soem frantic looking around revealed that it had fallen off a few feet away. Tim tried attaching it again and this time managed to get more of the sticky stuff attached, but it was too late to do anything about his bag, which had already disappeared. We then tried scanning the label on my bag but got an error message from the machine saying that the bag was too big (despite the fact that it weighed 14kg and we had an allowance of 20kg). Tim eventually managed to get the attention of a member of the check in staff, who explained that the machine meant that the bag was too big (as in, too large) and not too heavy. This made zero sense because my bag is physically smaller than Tim's bag, which the machine had already happily accepted, but we went off to the oversized backage desk and successfully deposited my bag there. I was starting to feel a bit worried about whether we were ever going to see either bag again! Security went well at least (I even got through the scanning machine without taking my walking boots off!) and we found a nice quiet place with comfy armchairs to sit and wait for our flight. This one left remarkably on time as well, despite the fact that it had been snowing in Helsinki overnight and there was definitely a significant amount of snow waiting for us at our destination. We landed in Kittila on time at around 10.20, and stepped outside into the biting cold of minus 14 degrees. Wow. Kittilä is only a small airport, so it didn't take long for the luggage to start coming off the baggage track. Helsinki to Kittilä is not the sort of flight where people travel with hand baggage - most people were waiting for suitcases and skis - so there was a lot of baggage to unload, and it came down the conveyor in fits and starts. After about 15 minutes I was starting to get nervous that neither of our bags had arrived, but there were still other people waiting which was reassuring. Eventually we caught sight of my blue bag coming along the conveyor, and Tim ran off to retrieve it. Still no sign of his, but there was another group of people waiting as well. We waited and waited and waited. Eventually the baggage carousel was completely empty, but it still continued to run so we didn't completely lose hope... until it came to a complete stop. Oh dear. Tim went off with the other man to try and find a member of airport staff, and was eventually given a lost baggage form to fill in. Once completed, this form had to be deposited in a sort of post box, which didn't completely fill us with confidence; who knows when someone was going to come and open the postbox to follow up on it?! This all took some time and while I stood waiting, I caught sight of the airport bus to Äkäslompolo driving away. This wouldn't necessarily be a huge problem at any other airport, but we were in the Arctic, in a country where a taxi could potentially cost my life savings, and the airport bus doesn't have a timetable as such; it just turns up to meet scheduled flights and leaves when it judges everyone on the flight has collected their luggage. My mood as I contemplated this problem was not greatly improved by a man who walked into the baggage reclaim area dressed in a Hawaiian shirt and shorts and, together with another man on a guitar, started playing what appeared to be Jingle Bells in Finnish. Was this some sort of weird Finnish stag do tradition? No, it turned out to be part of the welcoming party for a TUI flight that had just arrived from the UK! Once Tim had posted his form and we went through customs, we found the main hall of the airport full of TUI reps dressed as elves. We found a coffee shop and Tim bought us a drink while I checked the website for the airport bus. Luckily it turned out that there were three scheduled flights to Kittilä today; the one we had been on, one in the late evening and one which was due to arrive at 11.40. There would therefore be another bus, probably departing around midday. Phew! We also consulted the Norwegian website, to see whether there was anything else we could do about the lost baggage. It turns out that the politically correct term is "delayed" baggage Norwegian said that we needed to report the delayed baggage to a Norwegian representative at the airport and that they would give us a special reference number, which we could use to track the baggage and to make any claims on our insurance. This sounded good, but Kittilä is a really tiny airport and there were definitely no Norwegian representatives there. Tim tried a live chat on the Norwegian website but struggled to make them understand this problem, and in the end we realised that it was 11.50 and we needed to go outside to try and find the bus. Happily the bus was there and the driver let us get on board straight away A return ticket for two people set us back €54 (so I definitely need to make sure I don't lose the return portion!). The bus sat and waited at the airport for a while but ultimately it turned out that we were the only passengers. I'm not sure whether I was more surprised by this or the fact that Tim said the driver was reading the newspaper as he drove us along the snow-covered roads towards Äkäslompolo. It's around 50km between Kittilä and Äkäslompolo and the journey normally takes just over an hour, though it was a bit quicker today because we didn't have to stop at lots of different hotels for other passengers. It was around 1pm when the driver dropped us off outside the main shopping centre in the middle of the village. Our favourite restaurant that we ate in a lot the first year was open, so our first move was to go inside and get lunch. I had an absolutely enormous pizza, while Tim had a burger. Once again we drank the free tap water, so in total the meal only cost us €30. Our next stop was the supermarket, where we wanted to get both some supplies for the apartment and some replacement items for Tim. He had to spend more than he would have liked to, but did manage to pick up some new gloves, some underwear and a toothbrush. Luckily he was already wearing most of his warm weather clothes in anticipation of getting to Äkäslompolo, so we haven't had to buy even more expensive items like a coat and boots! It wasn't quite 3pm by this point and we weren't supposed to check into the apartment until 4pm, but we decided to try our luck with checking in early. There is no reception at the apartments and the keys are kept in little key safes outside the door. The company who owns the apartments are supposed to text you the number of your key safe a few days in advance, so I had been a bit stressed on Christmas Day when I realised I hadn't received mine. I emailed the company and got a response to say that they'd sent it to the incorrect phone number (they'd missed off the UK country code), but they didn't seem to resend it. Eventually after a frantic email last night, they sent me the key code via email. Let's say the email told me it was 1131. We got to the apartment and Tim dialled the number into the key box. Nothing happened; it was still most definitely locked. I started desperately searching for a phone number for the rental company and eventually found one, but my phone decided it didn't like the cold weather and died. Tim tried calling the number, but got no response. In the meantime, an elderly Finnish couple who were staying in the apartment next door arrived and tried to help us out, but we were hampered by the fact that they didn't speak a word of English. In the end they gave up and went indoors, while Tim set off on foot to find the office of the rental company, which was a short walk away near one of the main hotels in the village. I stood and waited, getting periodic visits from the elderly Finnish couple who kept coming outside, looking at me and saying things in Finnish It turns out that they were trying to ring the rental company for us as well. They eventually got through and were told that our key code was 6131. The man came outside and tried this in the key safe, but nothing happened; it still appeared to be locked. He and his wife started hitting it, perhaps thinking that it might be frozen shut, but all to no avail. While this commotion was going on, a big van pulled up in the car park outside and a representative of the rental company turned up, announcing that the code was indeed 6131. She tried it, and it didn't work for her either. Almost simultaneously, Tim arrived on foot, having made it to the office of the rental company and been told the code was 6131 as well. There were some heated exchanges in Finnish, and then the rental lady announced that the code was 7131. This one worked, and after thanking the Finnish couple as best we could, we were finally able to get inside the apartment Everything was as we expected when we got inside, except that the Internet isn't working properly and so I can't post the blog That's a problem to try and sort out tomorrow! All in all it's been quite an eventful day and not exactly what we'd planned for our arrival in Lapland (did I mention that I've acquired a sudden cold?!). Coming here for our third time, we thought that everything would be straightforward but I guess this is a reminder that there's always scope for things to go wrong when you travel. Here's hoping that tomorrow is going to be a better day!!
  8. Clare

    Day 2: Tenerife

    When we woke up this morning, our first task was to find somewhere to have breakfast in Santa Cruz. As we were walking around the town, we were able to admire the flowers displays which it had been a bit too dark to appreciate last night. We hadn't realised that there were poinsettias growing in the street! They were really beautiful, especially these light pink ones! After breakfast we checked out of the hotel and went to retrieve the car from the nearby car park. Soon we were on our way, discovering that it isn't a whole lot easier to drive out of Santa Cruz than it is to drive into it We went around in circles for a while, before eventually finding the road we were looking for towards the Anaga national park. The Anaga national park is a mountainous region in the far north of the island. The road towards it twisted and turned quite a lot, but it seemed quite tame in comparison to the road to Masca yesterday! We were driving towards a viewpoint called Cruz del Carmen, where there was supposed to be a visitor centre with a car park. When we arrived, however, we found that it was a very popular destination and the car park was already full It seemed a shame to drive all this way and miss the view, so Tim drove around for a while and eventually managed to find a roadside where we were able to safely park the car, then walk back up the road towards Cruz del Carmen. We had to walk quite steeply uphill for a while, but when we finally got to the viewpoint it was definitely worth it In the background we had a clear view of our main destination of the day; the Teide volcano. It was a really pretty location, although a little bit breezy After admiring the view for a while, we walked back down to the rental car. We were rather alarmed when, turning the corner towards it, it looked like we'd somehow managed to bash in the front lefthand corner of the vehicle Luckily, once we got a bit closer we were able to see that the car was absolutely fine and it was just the angle we'd been looking at it, combined with the slightly weird design of the front of the car, which made it look like it had been crashed We set off on the road towards Teide. It turned out to be a beautiful road, which took us gradually uphill towards the volcano, initially travelling through a very forested part of the island. Once we had climbed to above 1000m, we were able to stop the car at the first of many viewpoints and look out over where we'd come from. The cloud was quite low, so we could only just about make out the sea. We followed the road further up the mountain. Next time we stopped at a viewpoint we were a lot higher, and the view was a lot clearer I have to admit that I had vertigo at this viewpoint and didn't want to get out of the car Off we went again. It was a good job that we had the car, because there was a lot of uphill to do. Teide itself is enormous, with a summit at 3,718m making it the highest mountain in Spain. The road that we were following climbs to around 2,300m on the side of the volcano. The higher we went, the rockier the landscape became. Soon we were above the tree line... ...and it really did begin to look volcanic! Next time we parked up, Tim caught sight of some rather striking rock formations. Wow, you definitely don't see landscapes like these every day By the next time we stopped, the ground had turned red. It was really unusual! If we'd been here a bit longer, it looked like there were various trails you could follow from this point to explore the area on foot. We were on a schedule though, so we needed to keep travelling up. As we got higher, some of the rocks looked quite menacing.... ...and then we got to a viewpoint where the ground looked almost sandy! It wouldn't be hard to imagine this was the surface of the moon As we got closer to the highest point of the road, the weather began to take a turn for the worse. The summit of the volcano was shrouded in cloud and it rained quite heavily for a while. In good weather there is a cable car which leaves from here and goes almost all the way to the top of the volcano, so we may have to come back another time and try that For today, we just had time to visit a couple more viewpoints and admire our surreal surroundings. We parked the car to admire a particularly striking rock formation, and were slightly surprised when a guy walked over to us and said hello to us in English. It turned out that he had been on the same flight as us the previous day (and annoyed by the same other passengers!). He'd then followed almost the same itinerary on the island as us and said that he'd kept pulling up behind us at viewpoints us all day. Even more of a coincidence was the fact that he has also just come to Tenerife for the weekend and is flying back tonight. So at least we know that we are not the only people crazy enough to come all this way for a weekend And he was nice enough to take a picture of us together at the rocks From there, it was time to start travelling back downhill towards the southern coast and the airport. The countryside soon became a lot flatter, and it wasn't long before we were close by the sea again. All that remained was to hand the rental car back in and wait at the airport for our long flight home. Happily there has been good wi-fi at the airport, so I've been able to do this blog. Overall it's been a tiring weekend, but a very exciting one I can't pretend that Tenerife is somewhere I've always dreamed of visiting, but it has definitely surpassed my expectations and we've had a really good time Who knows, we may even be back some day!
  9. Clare

    Day 1: Home to Tenerife

    We had lots of fun last November when we went away to Rome for a spontaneous weekend and we said at the time that it would be a fun thing to do again if we could find cheap flights. As November approached again this year, Tim announced that he had booked some cheap weekend flights as a birthday present for me, but the destination was going to be a secret. Or rather, he told me that the flights were to Derry, and I spent a lot of time hoping that that was a joke As of this morning, all I knew was that we were flying with Ryanair and needed to be at East Midlands airport for around 05.30. That meant it was a fairly early start, but not as extreme an early start as we have had on some of our other holidays this year. We got to the airport for the appointed time and it was only when we were about to go through security that I was handed my boarding pass and able to see where we were going.... Tenerife!!! Tenerife???! That sounded like a long way to go for a weekend! Our flight was due to take off at 06.45 but as we left the terminal building to board the plane, I realised that it had unexpectedly begun to snow. It wasn't sticking to the ground, but as we stood in the queue to get onto the plane it was coming down thick and fast. Snow and UK airports are not a good mixture, and sure enough we ultimately ended up with a 45 minute delay to our flight as a result of having to wait for the aircraft to be de-iced. Once we finally took off, the flight to Tenerife took 4.5 hours and was an 'interesting' experience. Despite the fact that it was a 06.45 flight, the passengers in the row across from us had nevertheless already managed to get drunk before boarding the aircraft and proceeded to spend the flight getting progressively drunker, to the point where one of them was barely able to get down the aircraft steps at the other end. The most positive thing was that we managed to outwit the new Ryanair seating algorithm, which had placed me in 10E and Tim in 11B. When we sat down, however, Tim realised that he was sitting next to the husband of the woman I was sitting next to, so we managed to do an unofficial swap It was midday when we finally landed in Tenerife South. First impressions were that it was very warm and humid, but not particularly sunny; there were a lot of clouds in the sky, and it looked like it might have been raining earlier. Passport control was very quick and soon we were in the queue to pick up our rental car. Renting a car is definitely a holiday first for us and we weren't sure how it was going to go, but it all seemed very straightforward... at least until the point where Tim had to actually start driving on the wrong side of the road The plan for the weekend was to try and explore as much of the island as possible. Tenerife is the biggest of the Canary Islands but it's not a huge island, so Tim thought we would be able to see quite a lot. We had soon left the airport behind us and were driving on one of the island's main roads, towards the northwestern part of the island. I had expected Tenerife to look quite dry - which it did - but I was surprised by how mountainous it was even around the airport. We followed the main road for half an hour or so until we reached the village of Santiago del Teide. The village has a really pretty church... ...as well as orange and lemon trees blooming in the street. We had a little stroll around to stretch our legs and could see that the landscape behind the village was quite mountainous. We were on our way to a place called Masca, which is supposed to be the most beautiful village in Tenerife, and the road signs indicated that it was somewhere in that direction. Masca was only supposed to be 5km away so we thought we would be there in a few minutes. We were wrong! What happened next was rather a baptism of fire for the rental car, as we made our way up an incredibly steep mountain road, full of hairpin bends. I didn't take any photos on the way up as I was too busy holding on for dear life, but once we'd got over the top of the ridge and started to descend, Tim managed to pull over into a viewpoint where we could take some photos. This might be the steepest road I've ever been on! The scenery was really beautiful though Once we'd got a little bit further down towards Masca, we were able to stop at a second viewpoint. The landscape was a bit less extreme here.... ...and the road was a lot more manageable too. We were able to follow a track for a little way... ...and get some more views down towards the sea. Masca was down there somewhere but we ended up not actually stopping in it, as it's a tiny village and there wasn't anywhere obvious to park. Instead we followed the road onwards, down towards the sea. We soon reached the small town of Garachico. Garachico is situated on the northern coast of the island, so we'd already covered quite a bit of ground. The sea looked pretty fierce here today; not like the sort of place you'd want to go swimming! From there we were driving on faster roads again, travelling towards our ultimate destination for the evening of Santa Cruz de Tenerife. Santa Cruz is the capital of Tenerife and the biggest city in the Canary Islands. Tim had booked a hotel for us in the city centre and we thought it would be relatively straightforward to find, but we had reckoned without the city's complex one-way system. Over the course of an hour, we got progressively closer to the street we needed, only to have to drive past it and do another big loop around the centre when it inevitably turned out that to get to the hotel would have involved having to drive the wrong way down a one-way street! Eventually we made it though and were able to check in, before setting out to explore the town. The central square, Plaza de España, is quite unusual because it features a small artificial lake. There's a nice view from the square of the mountains behind the town. Darkness was starting to fall by this point and so we got our first experience of Tenerife's Christmas lights. I was very impressed by the concept of Christmas lights on palm trees There was also a huge nativity scene already up... ...and lots of other pretty displays. I really liked this street, where there were stars hanging from the trees. Although it was dark, it was still incredibly warm and when we stopped to have dinner shortly afterwards we were able to sit outside in short sleeves and feel just the right temperature. On the way back to the hotel we took a slightly different route and came across the most colourful Christmas lights of all It's been an exciting day, and I certainly wouldn't have thought when I woke up this morning that I'd be going to bed in Tenerife I'm looking forward to exploring more of the island tomorrow!
  10. Clare

    Day 9: Brindisi

    As we'd decided to go to Alberobello on Friday rather than Sunday, we still had Brindisi left to visit today. Our flight back to the UK isn't until 21.45 this evening, so we had plenty of time for a day trip. We had our final breakfast in the apartment this morning, and then the lady kindly offered to let us store our bags in her apartment for the day. This was really helpful and meant we didn't have to worry about the sometimes erratic opening hours of baggage storage facilities in Italy We caught the 10.05 train from Bari Centrale, arriving in Brindisi a little over an hour later. We didn't know a lot about Brindisi, except that it was a reasonably big port on the coast to the south of Bari, and that it has an airport which Ryanair fly to (but which never seems to have truly cheap flights). As we walked out of the train station and towards the centre of town, my first impressions based on this fountain was that it looked a bit like Podgorica! A long avenue lined with palm trees led down towards the sea. It didn't take us long to reach the port area, from where there are regular ferries to Greece and Albania. As we walked along I caught sight of what looked like a Roman column poking out from between some houses. We got a bit closer and confirmed that that was indeed what it was. The column marks the end of the ancient Via Appia (Appian Way) which was an important Roman road, linking Rome and Brindisi. We strolled along the seafront for a while, admiring the views. This tall tower in the distance is a monument to the Italian sailors who died during the First World War. In the distance at the end of the harbour we could see the Castello Svevo. This was built in the thirteenth century by Emperor Frederick II. Historically it was used as a prison, and then by the Italian navy. There appeared to be some sort of warship outside it today! The sea promenade came to an end at this point, so we turned back inland. Inside the old town we found a couple of nice churches, though none as impressive as the ones we had seen in Lecce the day before. This one is Brindisi's cathedral. Originally built in the twelfth century, it was mostly destroyed by an earthquake in 1743 and subsequently had to be completely rebuilt. It was afternoon by this point and we were quite hungry, so we set off in search of somewhere to eat. Finding somewhere to eat isn't normally a problem in Italy, but Brindisi isn't a very touristy place and it seemed strangely devoid of restaurants. We walked almost all the way to the station and back and failed to find anything at all! In the end we went into a bookshop, and Tim asked the helpful man behind the counter for advice on finding places to eat. He recommended that we go back down to the seafront and sure enough when we did, we found one place which was open and serving pizza We sat with a lovely view of the sea while I had my final pizza of the holiday and Tim had a mixed grill. By the time we had finished lunch, we thought that we had probably seen the main sights of Brindisi, but we still had a bit of time to kill before we had to be back in Bari to retrieve our suitcases and catch the train back to the airport. The Italy guidebook recommended a town called Ostuni as a good place to visit from Brindisi. This was about halfway on our journey back to Bari, so we decided to break our train trip there and see what there was to see. It didn't turn out to be a very successful excursion! While Ostuni does have a railway station, unfortunately it is located what the guidebook referred to as a twenty minute walk from the actual town itself. What the guidebook failed to mention, however, is that the station is located in something akin to an industrial estate and that the road which leads from there to the town is designed for cars more than for pedestrians. We made an attempt at walking towards the town, but ultimately had to turn back. We did get close enough to get a view of Ostuni from afar though, and it does look rather beautiful perched up on a big hill. I think it would have been quite hard work (and more than 20 minutes!) to climb all the way up to the top of it though. Having admitted defeat, we caught the train back to Bari, collected our suitcases and caught the train to the airport, where there turned out to be surprisingly good Wi-Fi, so I've been able to do a final blog We've had a really great week in Italy and seen some amazing places. The weather this far south has been absolutely perfect for October; still hot enough to walk around in shorts and t-shirts, but not so hot that we really needed to make use of air-conditioning. I can't decide whether my favourites place was Pompeii, Procida or Alberobello; all were wonderful and unique in their own ways, and I think at some point we will definitely be visiting the south of Italy again
  11. After surviving another visit from the apartment lady with our breakfast this morning, we were off to visit the city of Lecce. Lecce is located about 150km to the south of Bari, in the "heel" of Italy, and should not be confused with the town of Lecco, which we visited at the end of August. I keep getting mixed up with the names, however, including when I was trying to look up the train times between Bari and Lecce, accidentally looking up the train times between Bari and Lecco instead, and almost concluding that we couldn't do it as a day trip after all, because it was going to take six hours and cost €100 Catching the train to Lecce turned out to be more straightforward than getting the train to Alberobello yesterday, as the Lecce trains are part of the normal Italian train network run by Trenitalia. The tickets cost €10.50, which wasn't bad considering the distance involved, and the journey took roughly the same amount of time as Alberobello. We got the train from Bari at 10.05 and arrived in Lecce just before midday. We'd heard Lecce described as "the Florence of southern Italy" so I was expecting great things. The area around the train station wasn't terribly scenic, but soon we found a gate into the historic old town. Things improved from there, as we found the first of many beautiful churches This sort of Baroque architecture is what Lecce is famous for. What I didn't know is that Lecce also has some Roman remains. This is Lecce's Roman amphitheatre. It was built in the second century AD and apparently could seat 25,000 people. Only part of the amphitheatre is visible today, as other monuments were built on top of it in subsequent centuries. The amphitheatre is now situated in a large square, where there is a large column erected to Lecce's patron saint, St Oronzo. This was donated to Lecce by the citizens of Brindisi, because St Oronzo apparently cured a plague in Brindisi. Following one of the roads off the square took us towards this church, which is dedicated to St Irene. St Irene was the patron saint of Lecce until 1656, at which point she was replaced by St Oronzo due to his plague-curing success. Around the corner from St Irene's church, we got our first glimpse of Lecce's cathedral. A cathedral was first built in Lecce in 1144, undergoing significant rebuilding in 1659. The northern facade features a statue of St Oronzo. It's an enormous cathedral, and very pretty We walked a bit further from the cathedral and found ourselves leaving the old town via another impressive gate. We walked back in again, past another impressive church, on the search for a place to have lunch. Eventually we found a little restaurant where we had pizza, wine, a large bottle of water and a side order of chips for Tim, all for this price After lunch, we couldn't resist going back to admire the cathedral once again. Then we went to look for a site which sounded quite impressive on the map: the castle of Charles V. When we found it, however, it didn't quite live up to expectations! We needed to catch the 16.00 train back from Lecce towards Bari, because we had a second place we wanted to visit today: Polignano a Mare. Polignano is a small town, about half an hour from Bari by train, and we had never heard of it at all, until the lady who owns our apartment mentioned it on Friday. Or, to be more precise, she told us in no uncertain terms that we must go there, and then when bringing our breakfast this morning, demanded to know whether we had been yet! Our guidebook was strangely silent on what its charms might be, but as far as we could work out it was going to be a good place from which to take photos of the sea. It took around an hour and a half to get from Lecce to Polignano, so it was early evening by the time we arrived. First impressions were that the town looked fairly ordinary, although there was a nice gate into the old town... ...and a pleasant square in the centre of the town. We followed a series of little streets towards the sea. Eventually we got to a viewpoint from where we could see the cliffs on the edge of the town. The weather didn't seem as warm here as it had been in Lecce, and it was quite windy! The view in the opposite direction was amazing too, and showed how close the town is built to the sea. Because it was so windy, the waves were really beating against the cliffs. We walked around the town for a while and found a couple of other viewpoints from where we could admire the sea. Polignano is definitely in a spectacular location. In places it looks like the sea has eroded the rock so far that it would be quite a brave decision to live in one of these houses! The sea was particularly fierce here. The light was starting to fade by this point, so we made our way back to the train station to catch the train to Bari. Polignano was definitely worth seeing and at least when we get our breakfast tomorrow we will be able to confirm that we've been there
  12. Clare

    Day 7: Alberobello

    My original plan for today had been to visit Brindisi, a coastal town further south than Bari. On Sunday before we travel home, I was then hoping that we could squeeze in a visit to an interesting little place I had read about: Alberobello. When I started doing the holiday research, however, it seemed like travelling to Alberobello on a Sunday was going to be a complete nightmare, with no trains running and buses being few and far between. So we decided to change things around and go to Alberobello today instead The day got off to a slightly stressful start as we needed to make sure we were up and dressed for the time our breakfast was due to be delivered. This was supposed to be at 08.30 and we were ready on time, but nothing happened. We waited, and eventually at 08.45 the owner of the apartment turned up with a big tray of croissants, cereal and yoghurt. She also gave Tim a tirade of advice in Italian about all the places we should visit, followed by unclear instructions about what we should do with the tray once we'd finished eating, before vanishing. On the whole I think it might just have been simpler if we could have bought our own breakfast! But the croissants were delicious and full of Nutella The trains to Alberobello aren't terribly frequent even when they are running and so we were aiming for a train at 10.45. We left the apartment with plenty of time to spare to walk to the main train station, which is only 1.5km away, but still nearly ended up missing the train. First of all we struggled to walk down the last portion of the road in front of the station, because there was a loud and noisy student protest taking place. We couldn't work out what was going on, but later read on the news that they were on strike over unpaid work experience. When we finally got to the station, we became utterly confused by the sheer chaos of the rail network in Bari. Within the one station of Bari Centrale there are separate entrances and ticket offices for trains run by Trenitalia, Ferrovie del Sud Est, Ferrotramviaria and Ferrovie Appulo Lucane. All of these are separate companies with their own ticket machines, timetables and departure boards. So if you go through the Trenitalia door of the station, which we initially did by mistake, you can only see the departures and buy tickets for the Trenitalia trains. We were trying to find the ticket office for the Ferrovie del Sud Est, which turned out to be located on its own special platform somewhere in the middle of the station. We found it in the end and managed to buy tickets, but it was touch and go for a while Alberobello is located a mere 55km to the south of Bari, but the train journey took the best part of two hours. It was a very slow train in the first place, so the journey was timetabled to be about 90 minutes anyway, but sometimes it just seemed to arrive at stations and sit there for no clear reason for a very long time. After an hour or so had gone by I began to get a bit nervous about finding the right stop to get off at, because there were no audio announcements, the electronic display board was broken and the railway stations in this part of Italy often seem to only have one sign announcing their name, and not necessarily in a place where you're going to see it before it's too late. It turned out I needn't have worried though, because when we did eventually arrive a train conductor walked down the train shouting "Alberobello" for the benefit of the tourists And I can't complain too much because the journey was very cheap; €4.80 each per direction. Once in Alberobello we followed signs for the historical centre, realising too late that these were actually traffic signs intended for cars and therefore that we were taking an unnecessarily roundabout route to where we wanted to go. Never mind! On the horizon we soon got a glimpse of the things we had come to see. These are the famous trulli of Alberobello. Trulli are little dry stone huts with conical roofs and they are a phenomenon confined this particular bit of Italy. No one is quite sure why they were first built, but the most popular theory is that they were a way of avoiding property taxes. Because trulli were built without mortar, they could quickly be dismantled if people heard that a tax inspector was in the area. Whatever the reason, hundreds and hundreds of them were built in Alberobello. Today some of them are used as shops... ...some of them are barns... ...and some of them are restaurants. As we wandered around the streets we were amazed by just how many trulli there are. Some of them have mysterious symbols painted on the roofs. And on the edge of the town we found the most unusual building of all; a church with a trulli-shaped roof! We were hungry by this point, so we walked around the town looking for restaurants. Eventually we found a trullo that had lasagne on the menu Inside it was surprisingly spacious! After lunch, we explored some of the more modern part of Alberobello, where there aren't so many trulli. The modern town is quite interesting too, and has a very pretty church. Behind the church there were more streets of trulli. These roads were less touristy and it seemed like people were still living in the trulli. All too soon it was time for us to head back to the station to catch the very slow train back to Bari. Alberobello is definitely one of the most unusual places we've visited, but it was a lot of fun
  13. Today it was time for us to leave Naples behind and travel from one coast of Italy to the other. We had quite an early start by holiday standards, with our first train leaving Naples at 09.07. As this was quite a long journey, I had booked the tickets online in advance to make sure that we got seats on the train. That also took some of the stress out of the morning and meant that we could concentrate on just getting to Napoli Centrale on time, without having to worry about finding the ticket office. There don't seem to be any direct trains between Naples and Bari, so our first train was a regional train to a town called Caserta. We were due to arrive in Caserta at 09.55 with our connection to Bari departing at 10.11, so it theory there was more than enough time to change trains. I panicked slightly when the regional train was delayed by five minutes or so, but luckily Caserta station turned out to be pretty small and we were still able to get from one platform to the other with time to spare. The train from Caserta to Bari was an Intercity train, which meant that it was a bit more comfortable than the regional trains It didn't seem like a very popular route, so the train was also quite quiet and peaceful. Both these things were good, because we had a journey of nearly four hours before we would arrive in Bari Centrale at 14.00. It was an interesting journey, which took us first of all through some quite hilly landscapes, then became noticeably flatter as we got closer to Bari. For much of the journey the countryside looked incredibly dry and dusty, and towns of any significance seemed few and far between. We arrived in Bari pretty much on time and set off to find our apartment. I'd recently had an email from booking.com asking what time we were arriving, and had selected "14.00 - 15.00" as the relevant option in the drop-down menu. The apartment was only 1.5km from the station on the map, so I thought we would be there by around 14.30. Unfortunately, Bari station is quite confusing. We followed the only signs we could see towards an exit and came out of the station onto a main road. As so often in Italy, there were no street signs so it was difficult to verify whether this was the correct road, but we assumed it was the main road marked on our map as the one we needed to walk down. We followed it for a while, then turned right after approximately the amount of time the map suggested, but when we were able to find roads with street signs on, none of them tallied up to the road names which were on the map. It was complicated a bit by the fact that Google maps seem to be so difficult to print these days, and so not all the roads which were on the map had names. But in the end we had to admit that it seemed quite strange not to have found a single marked street. Perhaps we had come out the wrong side of the station. We retraced our steps and it turned out that we had done just that! There was another exit from the station - which didn't appear to be signposted at all - and this took us out onto another main road. This time, some of the street signs did match up with the names on our map. Phew! We finally arrived outside the apartment just before 3. Or, to be more precise, we arrived at the correct building number on the correct street, but there was no indication as to whether there was a holiday apartment inside. I hadn't been given any instructions about checking in when I had booked, so in the end Tim had to try calling the phone number on the reservation. He got through to a lady who seemed to be surprised that we had arrived, which I found surprising given that I'd been asked to submit our arrival time. We assumed that now she knew that we were standing outside the building, she was going to come and let us in, so we stood and waited. We waited and waited and waited and waited but no one came. After half an hour had elapsed, Tim called the number again and got through to the same lady, who seemed surprised that we were still standing outside the apartment. A few minutes later, the door we were standing next to buzzed and clicked open; no one spoke over the intercom, but we assumed it had been opened for us and went inside. We found ourselves in a large hallway, but we still had no way of knowing which floor we needed to go to or which room number we were looking for. Tim therefore had to call the lady for a third time and this time she gave him directions. It turned out we needed to go to the third floor. We started climbing the stairs and were met by a little old lady who motioned us into an apartment. She didn't speak English but it hardly seemed to matter, because she didn't have much to say at all. There was certainly no apology or explanation for the amount of time we'd had to wait. Instead she pushed a piece of paper at us for us to tick which items we wanted for breakfast (it was news to me that we were getting breakfast!) and carried on with whatever she'd been doing before we arrived as if we weren't there. Periodically she disappeared, returning with random items. At one point she went to get flannels. Another time she returned with a couple of pairs of slippers for us to wear in the house. Tim found that his were a little small! Eventually she left, but not before impressing on us the importance of not moving our suitcases from the suitcase stands she'd told us to put them on. Under no circumstances were we to move them to the other side of the room. It seemed an odd rule! The apartment itself is very nice though, with a spacious bedroom and living area... ...as well as a modern kitchen and a nice table to eat at. You can just about see in the picture below that the dining table is covered in some sort of plastic sheeting so that we don't get it dirty We felt like we'd wasted quite a lot of time checking in by this point, so we were keen to get out and explore Bari. I was particularly keen to see what it was like because it has quite a negative reputation for being dangerous and crime-ridden. Our Italy guidebook, for example, describes the old town as being a den of thieves, populated by gangs of youngsters stealing handbags on mopeds. However, our Italy guidebook is over 10 years out of date, and we had just spent five nights in Naples, which the guidebook describes as being the most dangerous and crime-ridden city of all. The biggest hazards we personally experienced in Naples were crossing the road and attempting not to tread in dog mess. Our first impressions of Bari were that it seemed like a very calm, quiet and clean town in comparison We walked through some of the newer parts of town first of all until we got down to the sea. It was nice to see the Adriatic again, although this part of it seems to smell a bit of seaweed! Once we'd admired the sea for a while, we turned around and walked into the old town. In the first square we entered there were ruins of something, but after Pompeii they didn't seem terribly impressive. The old town looked pretty, though the buildings admittedly weren't quite as colourful as on Procida yesterday. The old town was apparently built in such a way as to deliberately be like a confusing maze, to hinder any potential invaders. As we walked deeper into it, it definitely did feel like it would be a place where it would be easy to get lost. And that some of these narrow streets might be quite threatening in the dark. During the daylight it felt completely safe though, and there were certainly no gangs of thieves on mopeds. Instead, there were lots of impressive churches... ...and some beautiful paintings on walls too. After wandering around for a while, we found the cathedral. There has been a bishop in Bari since the fourth century, though the current cathedral is more modern than that; first built in the twelfth and thirteenth centuries, and significantly refurbished in the eighteenth century. From the cathedral we walked slightly outside the old town and found the Castello Svevo. This castle was first built by a Norman king in 1132 which is rather surprising. From outside the castle we could see back towards the old town and the cathedral. Rather than going back inside the old town, we decide to stroll around the edge of it on the city walls. The city walls are a really pleasant walkway. From here you can see out to sea... ...and down into the old town as well. We came down from the walls by the Basilica di San Nicola. This is the most famous church in Bari, being home to the relics of St Nicholas. By this point it was around 5pm and, while we'd enjoyed exploring Bari, we were now seriously hungry. We hadn't had any lunch due to being on the train, and by the time we'd finally succeeded in checking into the apartment we had well and truly missed the Italian lunchtime. The problem was that we were also far too early for the Italian dinnertime! We did another lap of the town but the only places that were open were of the cafe or kebab shop variety; all the restaurants were well and truly closed. This didn't seem to be an insurmountable problem, however, because this was precisely the sort of reason why we had rented an apartment rather than a hotel room. We'd already located the nearest supermarket to where we were staying, so we decided to head there and stock up on some pasta for our evening meal. We bought some pasta and mince for a bolognese and in no time at all were back at our apartment.... whereupon we realised that there were no pots and pans in the kitchen! This is really, really weird, because it's quite a big kitchen. It even has a dishwasher, although what they are expecting us to wash in it I'm not sure. There are rows of cupboards but, when we opened them, the majority of them were empty. All we could find were a couple of plates, mugs, glasses and cutlery. There was a hob and even an oven, but no implements for cooking whatsoever. Tim wasn't terribly impressed by this state of affairs and decided to call the owner again A few minutes later, the old lady appeared at our door to lend us a pot and give Tim some advice on keeping the kitchen clean. She then reappeared a few minutes later to lend us a tea towel as well. Problem solved for now, but I think we'll be eating out for the remaining nights we're staying here
  14. Clare

    Day 5: Procida

    Our plan for today was to visit the island of Procida. When I was originally planning the holiday a few months ago, my initial intention had been to visit the bigger and more famous island of Capri. There are plenty of ferries between Naples and Capri every day, but the prices seemed prohibitively expensive for a day trip. I then looked at the island of Ischia, which looks quite spectacular and is slightly cheaper to get to. While googling things to do on Ischia, however, I realised that the island had suffered an earthquake in August 2017, and there didn't seem to be much information online about how much damage had been done. We've already had some experience of how long it can take to repair earthquake damage in Italy when we visited L'Aquila in 2013, so I thought it might be prudent to give Ischia a miss. While I was reading up on it though I realised that there was a third island I'd never heard of - Procida - which was located off the coast of Ischia. The guidebook said that Procida was less touristy than the other islands, which sounded good. We decided to give it a go Boats to Procida can be expensive if you travel on one of the fast hydrofoils, but by searching online I managed to find cheaper tickets for a slower ferry run by the regional state ferry company Caremar. I thought I'd been clever by booking the tickets online in advance, but actually it turned out that when you buy a ticket online, what you get sent is a document with a bar code that you need to exchange for an actual ticket at a ticket office in the port. Our first challenge this morning was to locate the relevant ticket office in the correct bit of the port. We left the apartment with plenty of time to spare and began to make our way through the streets of Naples in the direction of the sea. Once we got to the Castel Nuovo, we knew that we were in the right bit of town. The situation with ports in Naples is a bit confusing. There is a main port called Molo Beverello and this is where the fast, passenger-only boats depart from. It's large, well-signposted and easy to find. Unfortunately, that wasn't where our ferry was departing from. We were due to leave from Porto di Massa, which I'd seen described online as being a few hundred metres from Beverello. Bizarrely, there are absolutely no signs or directions of any sort to this port. We walked around the general port area in complete confusion for a while, trying to avoid being run over or captured by Italian taxi drivers who wanted to drive everyone to Pompeii. I was hoping we might see some sort of sign for the Caremar ferry company and least, but we didn't. In the end we had to admit defeat, and Tim went to ask a policeman for directions. Luckily the policeman was very friendly and indicated that we should walk a few hundred metres to the right. We negotiated a path through a car park and found ourselves in something resembling a small industrial estate. This was possibly Porto di Massa, but we still couldn't see any signs for Caremar. There were ticket offices for other ferry companies though, so Tim went into one of these to ask for further directions, which seemed to imply that we just needed to keep walking to the right. We continued walking, but five minutes later, there was still no sign of the place we were looking for. Tim had to approach a second policeman (luckily Naples is full of police!) and eventually his directions led us to the furthest corner of the port, where we located the ticket office for Caremar. Phew! We exchanged our online booking coupon for a proper ticket and then we were able to walk straight onto the ferry. The ferry felt like it had seem slightly better days, with rather dirty windows that it wasn't possible to take photos out of. The journey from Naples to Procida is only an hour though, so it wasn't long before we were stepping out onto the island. One of the things I had read about Procida is that it's an incredibly colourful island, and on first impressions that definitely seemed to be true. We walked along the seafront for a while... ...towards the first of many beautiful bright yellow churches which we were going to see during the course of the day. Then we turned up one of the little side streets into the centre of the town. Some of the streets on Procida are very narrow. They aren't pedestrianised either, so cars and mopeds come whizzing past you at speed. We walked uphill for a while and caught sight of our second yellow church at the end of this road. This one was really lovely. At the side of the church was a viewpoint from where we could see out across some of the rest of the island. Looking in the other direction, we could see up the hill of Terra Murata. The fortified building on the hill used to be a prison. As we climbed higher up the hill, the views got even better. Soon we could see the whole of the island's main town, with all its brightly coloured buildings. These are what the photos of Procida had looked like when I'd googled it, so I wasn't disappointed The guidebook said that the island was only four square kilometres. Now that we were standing here we could see that we had already accidentally walked across from one side of it to another; our ferry had arrived in the bit of sea on the far side of this photo. The island is longer than it is wide though, so we could see that there was still quite a bit of it left to explore. We continued up the hill until we reached the highest point on the island. There was a yellow church here too, although this one could have done with a lick of paint. Then we set off back down the hill to find somewhere to have lunch. Our route led past some more multicoloured buildings... ...through narrow streets... ...and eventually down to the harbour that we'd seen when up on the hill. From down here it looked even more amazing than from above. There were plenty of restaurants down by the harbour but the problem was that - being on an island - most of them were specialising in fish Luckily we did succeed in finding a place that served pizza as well... ...and when the pizzas came they were enormous! After lunch we decided to walk to the other side of the island. There were yellow churches here too! The streets were still very narrow and the locals had narrow cars and vans to navigate them After 45 minutes or so we reached the sea again. There was another small village on this side of the island... ...complete with yellow church! There was also another small harbour... ...which we strolled around for a while... ...before heading back to the main part of the island. We had enough time left for a final drink at the beautiful harbour... ...before it was time to catch the ferry back to Naples once more. Tomorrow we will be leaving the western coast of Italy behind and travelling east, to Bari. It's going to have to be pretty spectacular there to beat the past couple of days at Pompeii and Procida
  15. Clare

    Day 4: Pompeii

    Our destination for today was the famous ruined city of Pompeii. Pompeii, which is situated about 30km south of Naples, is easy to visit for a day trip as one of the main entrances to the site is located next to the station of Pompei Scavi on the Circumvesuviana train line. When we got to the station in Naples this morning, we therefore caught one of the same trains as yesterday in the direction of Sorrento, with the tickets being even cheaper this time (a mere €2.80!) because we weren't going quite as far. The train journey to Pompei Scavi is supposed to take around 35 minutes, though our train took slightly longer because it was temporarily delayed by a passenger being taken ill. As soon as you step off the train at Pompei Scavi you are confronted by a bunch of stalls with people trying to sell tours and tickets. From reading the guidebook in advance, I knew that these were all 'unofficial' and that the actual entrance tickets are only on sale at the ticket office inside the main gate. It costs €13 for a normal entrance ticket; the touts outside seemed to be charging €15 for whatever they were selling. Having successfully avoided being ripped off, we walked through the gate and joined the ticket queue. I'd read that queues at Pompeii could be quite long, but actually we only had to wait for five minutes or so before we got to a ticket counter. We had no problem purchasing tickets but we obviously failed somewhere because we realised somewhat belatedly that every other tourist in Pompeii except from us had also acquired a helpful free map! Initially I didn't think not having a map would be too much of a problem, but it turned out I had no concept of quite how enormous Pompeii is. As soon as we'd finished buying the tickets, we turned around and got our first view of the ruins. After passing through the ticket control, the route into the site leads up this rather steep path. Soon we were inside and exploring the first of many ruined houses.... ...and admiring our first mosaics. Pompeii is in a really beautiful location. Our attention was soon caught by this striking statue, which is situated in what was the Temple of Venus, built on a panoramic viewpoint at the edge of the town. Around the corner from here is Pompeii's visitor centre, which featured a bookshop, some pottery exhibits and an audiovisual display.... but no leaflets or maps! We watched the audiovisual display though and it was full of informative details about life in Pompeii, which was originally founded in the sixth or seventh century BC, becoming part of the Roman Empire from the fourth century BC onwards. It was in 79AD that Pompeii was destroyed by the eruption of Vesuvius. The volcano constantly appears on the horizon as you walk around the town (and the cloudy weather today made it look quite menacing!) In the absence of a map, we decided to try and follow the (rather sparse!) signposts towards the main sites which had been mentioned in the audiovisual display. Our first stop was the basilica. This was one of the most important public buildings in Pompeii, because it was home to the courthouse. At the far end of the basilica you can walk down into another of the most important areas; the forum. The forum was huge.... ...and parts of it are still amazingly well-preserved. At the far end are the remains of the Temple of Jupiter. The forum seemed to be the prime location for tour groups to congregate, so after a while we decided to strike out onto a quieter side street on our own. We had no idea where we were going, but with views like this it didn't really seem to matter It didn't take long until we had lost most of the other tourists, and as we walked along we were able to get fascinating glimpses inside the ruined houses. What we would perhaps have realised more quickly if we'd had a map was that some of the small side streets are dead ends; either because the town comes to an end or because certain sites are closed of for restoration or further excavation. So after a while we had to turn around and retrace our steps. Next time we chose a slightly wider street. Some of the grander houses were located on this street. We explored the garden of this one, which is known as the House of the Faun. It got its name from this statue of a dancing faun, which is in its grounds. More impressive than the faun though are the mosaics. Especially this one, which depicts Alexander the Great in battle. Once we'd finished exploring the House of the Faun, we set off down another side road. We were trying to find Pompeii's amphitheatre, which we knew was somewhere on the far side of the town. We passed lots of interesting buildings on the way... ...and concluded that Romans must all have been quite narrow if they were able to fit through archways like this. In places we could see the remnants of some sort of signs or graffiti on the walls, which was quite exciting. We walked for what felt like miles and found no trace of the amphitheatre, but we did find the house of Octavius Quartio. This house was really fascinating because you could see the remains of the painted walls. Some of them were really bright and colourful... ...while others seemed to depict elaborate battle scenes. The house had an impressive garden too. We emerged back onto one of the main streets and continued walking. Eventually we caught sight of the amphitheatre on the horizon It was made of a very dark sort of stone, but it was impressively big... ...especially once you were inside. We walked around the edge of the amphitheatre... ...and found the Palestra. This is the athletics field where the men of Pompeii would have come to keep fit. It is surrounded by some impressive porticoes. We were near the edge of the town now and we could see the more modern town of Pompei in the distance. We'd been walking around Pompeii for around four hours now (it really is enormous!) and so we were pretty tired and hungry. But before we left there was one more must-see sight that I wanted to try and find, so we set off through the streets once again. I was looking for a building known as the House of the Tragic Poet. Who he was and why he was tragic I'm not sure, but the house is home to one of the most famous mosaics in Pompeii. We knew it was somewhere to the north of the forum, so we retraced our steps to there. Eventually we found the right house, and this is the mosaic. The text says "Cave canem" which is Latin for "Beware of the dog" I would certainly want to beware of a dog that looks as scary as this one! By this point we had seen all the things I definitely wanted to see, though probably still only a fraction of everything there is to see at Pompeii. I would definitely come back (although next time with a picnic and a map!) to explore more

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.